Branded Packaging Checklist for Subscription and E-Commerce Box Programs
Whether you are thinking of starting a subscription box business, are pre-launch or already an established subscription program or E-commerce business, knowing the right time to invest in branded packaging is not always easy, but it can be a decision that is simplified with a little guidance.
In our now over a decade of being one of the leading suppliers of branded packaging for hundreds of E-commerce businesses, we’ve seen firsthand the boom of the subscription model, and have been a large part of helping launch custom packaging for many established, long-term subscription companies and witnessing their success. When done right and done well, custom packaging can set you apart from the competition.
The big question: Are you ready for branded packaging?
While there is usually no single reason or factor that determines a company’s readiness, there are many keys that we look for when a potential customer approaches us with the “Am I ready?” question.
Branded Packaging Checklist
- Number of Subscribers—Our advice has always been to wait until you are at 200 or more subscribers per month, or, ideally, 300 to 400 before you consider branded packaging.
- Order Quantity—Our minimum of 1,000 is low by comparison in the flexographic print industry, but for some, an 1,000 box investment is substantial in the early stages of their business, when buying 100 boxes and reducing shipping and storage space costs is the better alternative.
- The Rebranding Factor—We see it all the time. Customer and market reaction causes a company to change their brand name or logo six months after launching, sometimes resulting in hundreds of boxes they can no longer use, and a need for investing in new print plates ($400-800 on average) to accommodate a new design.
- Right-Sizing—As a new launch, there is very little history to work from in terms of box sizing, product shipment, shipping costs, storage space and more. Additionally, what if market research and customer response shows that a 6 pack design may be preferred to your current 4 pack?
- Packaging Alternatives—Is a box really the best option for your product? Have you considered all options? An envelope could be a cost saving solution at lower minimums to accomplish your branding needs.
The bottom line: A custom box is meant to be a long-term solution, and locking yourself into a decision before you are prepared with a proven model may prove a costly mistake for your business.
Alternatives to Custom Boxes
So, you’ve discovered you may not be quite ready for branded packaging? The good news, we have a solution that has proven successful for many subscription business in the early stages. Over 20 sizes of stock mailer boxes from our online webstore Globe Guard Products can be purchased in low minimums of 25-50 boxes, and are ready to ship the next day. They are a cost-effective, low volume solution for sampling and market testing. While they are not printed, you can still accomplish branding by adding a label on your own or at a local print shop.
The best part is that once you are ready to customize your boxes, the transition is a simple one, aided by the fact that we already know what size and style of mailer is working for you.
We’d love to talk with you personally and have many experienced branded packaging advisors eager to help you along in your path to branded packaging. Please contact us at Salazar Packaging or call us at 630-551-1700 for a no cost, no obligation review of your specific application.